Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Tungsten and daylight settings





In doing this assignment, I noticed that it had been about three weeks since I had actually used my camera for an assignment.  When I first started shooting, I didn’t think to check my ISO.  I realized when my photos weren’t really turning out how they should that I didn’t change my ISO from the meter calibration that I did in the studio.  I did go back and shoot again some of the pictures with a different ISO setting and it seemed to work better.   I haven’t extensively used my camera for an assignment since I got done with my internship a few weeks back and I wish I would have used it between these times because I seemed to forget to change settings, etc. on my camera.  It was only after I took the photo, I realized to change settings.  I just think I need to get back into photography mode of shooting.

            I shot the beginning of some of my shoot with 100 ISO.  This was because I hadn’t changed the setting and I had a low f-stop setting.  After a few shots, I changed my ISO to 400 and worked around an f-stops of 8-11 depending on how the light was.  In shadowed places, I used a lower f-stop and if it was really bright I used higher but most of my photos were in that 8-11 range.  My shutter speed stayed around 1/125.  For the first photos I took it was slower around a 1/30 but that was slower than I wanted.

            When I did the meter calibration, I did it the way we were supposed to but didn’t get the results I thought I should have.  I had my ISO setting at 100 and the tungsten setting on but my camera wouldn’t go below f 5.6.  When we did the demonstration in class, the demonstrator’s camera went below that.  My photos just showed up darker that I thought they should be.

            I learned of course to check your camera settings all the time before each photo which I knew before but for some unknown reason forgot in the beginning of this assignment. I thought the tungsten setting created a different effect on some of my photos that I liked better than when I took them on the daylight setting.  I hadn’t used tungsten before so that was something new I learned.

           


1 comment:

Tica Macha said...

Your blog came up when I searched for help on how to change a photo that was taken with the tungsten setting ON when it should have been daylight!! Let me know, if you know....