Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Final Project Ideas for Picture Story

I've been contemplating a few ideas for my final story in picture story. I thought of continuing my work with the Basye family but then opted out of that. I am going to photograph them more but I feel like I should work on a new story since after all this is picture story and it is my capstone class.
I thought of going to Crane's Country Store in Williamsburg. I've visited there a few times and noticed how it seems to be the spot for town talk/gossip. I remember seeing people sitting outside the store just chatting away and having a good time. Due to the distance, this was just a thought not something I am probably going to pursue for that reason.
My other idea is to work with the elderly in some way. I'm taking a sociology of aging class this semester and it has opened my eyes to a lot of things about the elderly. For a project in that class we have to talk to someone 65+ and ask them questions about getting older and how they feel about that. We can do a video interview, write a paper, take photos etc. I thought of working with video for this since I haven't had much of an opportunity to do that yet. I had talked to David Rees today about this and he suggested adult day care. This sparked my interest so after my meeting, I did some research and plan on contacting them either tomorrow or Thursday to find a time to go out there. I am thinking maybe video interviews intermixed with photographs of them doing their activities. My other thought is to focus on one person and follow them at the day care and their home life away from the day care.

These are the only two ideas I had so far. I know I don't have a whole lot of time but I want to do something I'm interested in and the elderly is something that does interest me a lot.

No comments: